Saturday 10 April 2010

Eagle Owl at Bosworth Battlefield

I finally got my first Willow Warbler of the year, however I had driven 120 miles south of York to Bosworth Battlefield where I met my parents for some lunch. It showed beautifully sat preening and calling occasionally, it looked quite a big bird, but maybe its just that its been about 6 months since I last saw one!?! Other migrants observed included a single Swallow, several Blackcap and many Chiffchaff. Other bits and pieces noted included a female Sparrowhawk, lots of Buzzard, Kestrel and Skylark. A calling Eagle Owl was interesting, until I realised it was a falconers bird (and set next to a couple of Sakers and Harris' Hawks!)

Back at home nothing new, save a garden tick in the form of a singing male Blackcap with many Blackcap and Chiffchaff noted within the local patch. A couple of male Sparrowhawk were very vocal as they flew around in the early morning sun. But still no local Willow Warblers for me!

I think I'll keep my eyes skyward tomorrow and hope for a Common Crane, White Stork or White-tailed Eagle going over the garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment