Wednesday 7 April 2010

Damn Rich - both of them!

While two of my friends were enjoying awesome views of White Stork (in Norway) and White-tailed Eagle at 50ft at Tophill Low I was sat in my office in Headingley twiddling my thumbs (working extremely hard) watching news that the White-tailed Eagle was flying about where I spent the whole of yesterday sat looking at very little save a Goshawk, hopefully tomorrow it will still be in the area? But I'm not holding my breath, especially after it went missing for for 3 days previously.

Back on the local patch a cold wet morning - that meant that I didn't go back to the Beverley area - resulted in no new migrants, but by the evening, by which time the temperature was about 10 degrees hotter more migrants were noticeable, including 4 male Blackcap and 10+ male Chiffchaff. A flock of 10 hirundines over the river in York could well have been House Martin but they were too high and there were too many cyclists for me to get a firm ID. Still no Willow Warbler from my patch - which incidentally is the Clifton Backies in York but I know from local reports that they are in surrounding habitat already. I moved here in August last year so this is my first spring here so I'm waiting for the migrants to arrive and hoping for something a little interesting to turn up too!

Breeding behaviour noted in Magpie, Blackbird, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Reed Bunting, Robin, Wren, Dunncok, Carrion Crow and Bullfinch.

The only benefit of a day in the office was Red Kite seen along the A64 near the A1 junction.

No comments:

Post a Comment