Wednesday 1 September 2010

A Busy Day!

My day started at 4am to get down to my site in Nottinghamshire for sunrise, it was cold but beautiful as the Sun came up. Birds were everywhere with several Greenshank, Green Sandpiper, Redshank, Ringed Plover, Snipe and Woodcock all recorded flying about the flashes I was checking out, in addition plenty of ducks and geese.

As the sun kept rising out shot a Hobby, complete with the prey it had just caught.

All in all an enjoyable survey, and completed by mid-morning, home for lunch, however things were set to take a dramatic twist and I headed straight up to Flamborough after a tip-off from a friend that I really should be there. I shot up as quickly as possible (as fast as the combines, tractors and coffin dodgers would allow). Parked up, donated some money and rushed down to Old Fall plantation for excellent looks at the Eastern Olivaceous Warbler. On my arrival there was approximately 40-50 people present round the back of the plantation, a wait of a few minutes was all that was required before the bird was sat out in the open on the edge of a hawthorn bush, continually pumping its tail as it foraged about the place. It was nice to catch up with this species in the UK, it's been a few years since I last saw it abroad.

I even managed to get home in time to pick Jenny up from work!

No comments:

Post a Comment