Friday 4 March 2011

Great Grey Shrike - Back at North Duffield!

I worked at home today so when 5pm rolled around I made a quick smash and grab raid on North Duffield Carrs. I spent about 45 minutes in the Geoff Smith hide.

Interestingly the Great Grey Shrike that was present a couple of weeks back (see here) was in the log book for yesterday afternoon (3pm), present in the willow tree (where it was when I saw it). Thanks for the message Alan. There was however no sign of it today between 17:15 and 18:00, I'll keep my eye out for it over the weekend.


Another excuse for a rubbish Shrike shot! (this was from a couple of weeks back

The water levels on the main flood appear to have gone down by about 2ft since last week and the number of birds seems to have increased considerably since last weekend. I didn't count the birds today due to there been so many of them and with there been so little daylight left however I did record the following:

Wildfowl included: Teal, Wigeon, Tufted Duck, Shelduck, Shoveler, Coot, Mute Swan, Pochard, Gadwall, Pintail, Black Swan, Mallard, Greylag Goose, Whooper Swan and Moorhen.

Waders included: Golden Plover, Lapwing, Dunlin and Curlew.

Other stuff included: 1 male Sparrowhawk, Tree Sparrow, Fieldfare, Common Gull and Black-headed Gull.

There was no sign of the Whooper Swan flock by the time I left at 18:00 though it was a lot lighter than I was expecting it to be, also no sign of the Barn Owl tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment