Tuesday 8 March 2011

Lesson Number 2 Learnt today!

After missing the Bar-tailed Godwit last night I managed to get up nice and early this morning in order to check out the floods at Thorganby with the Godwit the main target. At this point I learnt Lesson Number 2 of the week. The east-facing viewing platform does not work at first light! I got there to get a face full of sun and a couple of thousand birds in silhouette!!!

There was plenty of birds present (Golden Plover, Lapwing and Dunlin - all in lower numbers than I'd previously seen there over the last few days) with Teal, Mallard, Wigeon and Shelduck also noted. There was no sign of the Godwit at all - this didn't really surprise me given their status in the valley and the fact that it had been a clear night. I'll have to try harder for the next one!

A very active pair of Great Spotted Woodpecker were making their presence known around the platform giving great flyby views.

I headed down to my site in Lincolnshire, the first few hours were fairly dull with several Buzzard, Kestrel and Sparrowhawk recorded. Lapwing and Skylark were busy displaying. As the afternoon progressed several flocks of Golden Plover were recorded but then the two highlights, first a Peregrine circling at great height dived down and out of sight and then a bit later a cream crowned Marsh Harrier flew strongly through heading north, probably a migrant bird.


Marsh Harrier - Source BBC online (unknown)

All in all an enjoyable day, in beautiful weather too!

No comments:

Post a Comment