Friday 22 April 2011

A pleasant local day

I had a really pleasant couple of walks this morning and this evening, making the most of the cool before and after the heat of the middle of the day.

This morning I visited a very nice woodland near Escrick where Jenny keeps her horse. I'd popped into the same woodland on Thursday night for a little exploration and thought it looked good. This morning it was pumping with birds, especially warblers with Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Blackcap and my first Garden Warbler of the year. Several GOldecrest and Coal Tits were busy foraging in the tree tops. Some huge Oak trees were busy with birds including Great Spotted Woodpeckers and a Mistle Thrush was provisioning a nest. The woodland was looking really smart with the bluebells and wood anemone in flower. I even found these two urchins in there too...







This evening I took a brief trip down to Wheldrake Ings. Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler were all singing away. A pair of Bullfinch looked like they were on a territory. A couple of Garden Warblers were busy nest building - this is amazing, these birds must have literally just arrived in the last day or so and are already on with building their nest!

Near the Wind Pump a sudden noise caught my attention, the reeling sound of a Grasshopper Warbler, my first of the year. A bit of movement and I thought I was on it straight away - that was easier than usual I thought, but typically it wasn't it! It was instead a Sedge Warbler! A bit more grilling of the bush and there it was. After a short while it came out and showed beautifully.

A brief scan of the marsh resulted in lots of ducks. The dykes were full of Sedge and Reed Warblers all in full song. At least 2 Cuckoo were calling, one sounded rather hoarse which was quite amusing!

As dusk approached six or seven of the Whimbrel flock present in the valley droped in to roost, another year tick for me. As dusk progressed 2 Arctic Terns were observed dropping into the bund infront of Swantail Hide (by Craig).

Lots of Hirundines (Swallows and House Martin at least) were noted today all over the place with there appearing to be more House Martin checking out their breeding locations in the village.

No comments:

Post a Comment