Monday 11 April 2011

Plenty of Migrants and Garden Birding..

I've been pretty busy with work at the end of the week and also over the weekend hence the lack of posts.

Like many I've been hit by a wave of migrants over the weekend, with Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Blackcap, Swallow and Sand Martin all now definitely 'in'. A trip to North Duffield Carrs last night (Sunday) resulted in my first Yellow Wagtails of the year (2 flying north). Along with the giant female Peregrine. I'd been hoping for some White/Yellow Wagtails, Water Pipits or more Wheatear given that plenty of the above had been found by Ollie up at the top of the valley at Heslington, York. But I had no joy.

Today a local dog walk produced my first Common Whitethroat of the year, a male singing along a hedgerow. Whilst out surveying this afternoon I had a cracking male Yellow Wagtail walking along a minor road that allowed really close views.

I've added 3 new garden birds over the weekend with Grey Heron, Mute Swan and Chiffchaff all recorded. I had a Buzzard over high yesterday too, and for a moment a very high Great Black-backed Gull got me really interested...

No comments:

Post a Comment