Thursday 1 September 2011

Lista Bird Observatory - Norway Birding!

I've been ill for a few days but back in the office today to get on with some report writing so no birding for me for the last few days so thought I'd tell you about one of my mates birding days - as it sounds pretty good!

Lista Bird observatory is approximately 600 Km Northeast of my favourite UK birding destination - Flamborough Head (where incidentally I now have my caravan set up!) separated by the North Sea. Knowing what is going on at Lista (and other such locations in Europe) can prove for a) some interesting reading, and b) some food for thought...

Some of the better birds at Flamborough come from the east so it is logical to assume some of the birds that get recorded over at Lista may make it over here given the right weather.

A couple of weeks back Lista recorded Norway's first Grey-necked Bunting, there shortly followed another bird in the same country a week or so later. Grey-necked Bunting has not yet been recorded in the UK (to my knowledge). There has also been a Pallid Harrier recorded over the last few days over there which seems to fit in well with records of birds in the UK and Ireland over the last week or so.

Today my mate Rich Cope (Richbirder) has had a fairly decent day with 2 Pallid Harrier, 1 Hen Harrier, 1 Black Kite, 1 Rough-legged Buzzard, 2 Honey Buzzard, 100 Sparrowhawk, 2 Barred Warbler and a Wryneck! A sign of what may be heading this way over the coming days??

Rich has also been having decent numbers of Two-barred Crossbills since 27th July, with 8 seen yesterday, hopefully some more will make it to the UK in the coming weeks and months.

Rich is providing daily accounts (internet/time permitting etc) which I really recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment