Saturday 14 April 2012

Osprey on the patch

I checked out Bubwith this morning to see if the water had attracted anything in, there was over 20 Tufted Duck and several Shoveler, Wigeon, Teal and Shelduck as well as an arrival of Swallow and Sand Martin. It was freezing though so I didn't hang around too long!

Mid-afternoon I got a [much appreciated] phone call from Mr Zing informing me there was an Osprey sat on a fence post at North Duffield! I was checking on the horse at the time at Escrick so knew I was at least 20 minutes away... would it stick?

I raced back, typically getting stuck behind 3 tractors en-route! A quick run down to the hide, one space left to sit down, and there it was sat at the back of the reserve eating a massive fish! I managed to get a good half hour watching as it ate its afternoon tea. This was my first on the local patch and also my first in the York Area too (and a year tick). I've had several in the neighbouring Harrogate area so guessed it was only a matter of time, and this was, funnily enough, the subject of conversation yesterday between me and a few other local birders!

Anyway, I managed a couple of record shots on my phone (below)


Osprey North Duffield Carrs (Phone-scoped)


Osprey North Duffield Carrs (Phone-scoped)


Osprey North Duffield Carrs (Phone-scoped)

This evening I had another quick half-hour back in the hide and the Osprey was still present, however while I was scanning Bubwith (enjoying a flock of over 100 hirundines - 95% Swallow and 5% Sand Martin) it vanished!

No comments:

Post a Comment