Tuesday 2 October 2012

More on Rare Birds in Great Britain in 2011

I've just spent the last couple of hours powering through the latest issue of British Birds (October 2012 Vol. 105: 555-636) - the Rare birds in Great Britain in 2011 round-up. What a great read, with some stunning rarity pictures too.  Highly recommended.

Some of my favourite pictures include:

Blue-winged Teal by Wayne Davies
Upland Sandpiper by Gary Thoburn
Pallid Harrier by Chas Moonie and Rob Brookes
Greater Yellowlegs by Marcus Conway
Isabelline Shrike and Siberian Rubythroat by Hugh Harrop

In addition to the species referred to in the post below, there was some good memories of the past birding year including:

  • Solitary Sandpiper: Dave and I had incredible views of the St Mary's bird whilst it was at Lower Moors, where it showed to a matter of feet!
Solitary Sandpiper by Andrew Vinson
  • Greater Yellowlegs: Managed to catch up with this while it was settled at Hauxley
Greater Yellowlegs (from my phone)
  • Marsh Sandpiper: I'd forgotten I'd seen this bird! Showed nicely at Blacktoft (no pictures)
  • Red-eyed Vireo: Part of a great haul at the Scillies last year, nice find by Dave (no pictures - no chance!)
  • Isabelline Wheatear: A nice late autumn treat at Spurn
Isabelline Wheatear (from my phone)
  • Olive-backed Pipit: Had two birds together on St Mary's at Windmill, these birds were showing really well
Olive-backed Pipit (one of two in same field: from my phone)
  • Dark-eyed Junco: Not as rare as the Spanish Sparrow, but much more interesting and much more satisfying!

Dark-eyed Junco (from my phone)

A bit gutted I missed the Baltimore Oriole, Black-and-white-Warbler on St Mary's and kind of wished I'd had the balls to have twitched the Veery and Siberian Rubythroat....

A couple of interesting records within the report probably pertain to a Killdeer from 1980, and Great Reed Warbler from 1961!!! Apparently the observer of the Killdeer forgot to send the record in!  the Great Reed Warbler is a fascinating story... worth getting the report just for that alone, totally bizarre!

No comments:

Post a Comment