Thursday 22 November 2012

Bittern Still Present At North Duffield Carrs

I worked at home today which meant whilst I was on my lunch break I could take a quick look for the Bittern at North Duffield.  I'd heard that it hadn't been seen since Monday but thought it worth a look regardless, plus there may have been other stuff worth looking at.

It was much windier at lunchtime than when I walked the dogs this morning, and pretty close to being dark already! I left home at 1305, and by 1310 was sat in the Geoff Smith Hide at North Duffield Carrs enjoying great views of the Bittern on the left of the pool right in front of the hide. Can't complain at that!!  I got a couple of record shots just in case anyone doubted my record (below)!

I had a quick scan of the water, which was much higher in level than my last visit on Sunday. Less habitat for waders so not surprisingly I didn't see too many, other than a small flock of 250 Lapwing in with which was 3 Ruff and 2 Dunlin, plus 1 other Dunlin flew low south along the river. There was also a Scaup on the River.  My first impression of the floods was that there was far less birds, less geese and Swans - mainly just Mutes, presumably the geese and Whoopers were out in the fields feeding somewhere. On a careful scan of the floods however it was quite interesting to note there was in fact thousands of ducks all hiding in the partially submerged vegetation, counting was impossible (and I didn't have enough time to even contemplate it) but there was a good mix of species: Pochard, Pintail, Tufted Duck, Shoveler, Wigeon, Teal, Mallard, Gadwall etc.

Was back home having my soup by 1345! So in less time than it takes to walk from my office to the local Deli of choice (Henshelwoods) and back I'd had quite a productive half hour! Looking forward to the weekend to see if I can improve my Bittern photos from last Saturday, or find something interesting lurking amongst the waterfowl (I hate ducks). I might just sit and look at my Malaysia field guide though as its full of pretty birds and I don't have to bother with the ducks that way!

Bittern for lunch - just showing it's still there

Bittern for lunch - just showing it's still there

Bittern for lunch - just showing it's still there

No comments:

Post a Comment