Saturday 10 August 2013

It's been a long time coming...

...I finally went birding!

Most of the summer has been taken up by writing reports of one sort or another. I've been engrossed in the cricket and have done a little planning for my rapidly approaching birding trip to Thailand (4 months to go) but in all honesty I've just been too busy to blog. No great loss!

I have actually done a bit of birding locally (had a Red Kite almost visible from my house) and a bit further afield but most of it has involved Schedule 1 birds at secret locations so I can't talk about those here! As Autumn is starting to get going I thought I'd try and get a bit more active, we'll see....

Today I went to Wheldrake Ings, was overcast but still fairly mild. Highlights included 8 Green Sandpiper, 1 Ruff, 4 Snipe and 33 Lapwing. A few ducks but they were all in their 'brown-look' so I didn't really bother with them and a few gulls flew over with lots of gaps in their wings, ugly, so again ignored those. Did see a Grey Heron catch a foot long Pike wash it, then swallow it whole, and still alive! Quite impressive.

I called in to Bank Island, the Butterfly Garden there last week was spectacular, most of the plants have gone over now but there was quite a few 'White's' still knocking about, and a Little Egret on the pool too.

That was about it, the Vulcan flew over and flushed everything a couple of times before it cleared off.

The only other thing was Swift, noticeable by their absence in the LDV today...

No comments:

Post a Comment