Sunday 22 February 2015

Waxwing and York Birding

Had a few short birding trips this weekend in the York area.

Some time was spent in my Patchwork Challenge area - where I added Red Kite to my year list. There was a also a small group (5) Lesser Redpolls showing nicely in front of the hide. There was also a young Peregrine Falcon chasing the ducks around. Otherwise it was the usual suspects - Whooper Swans, Black Swan, Shoveler, Wigeon, Teal, Pintail, Lapwing, Golden Plover, Redshank, Ruff, Dunlin, Curlew (substantial increase in numbers). Also a cool partially ermine Stoat! Several Barn Owl gave good entertainment as usual.

Further afield (from my patch) I had good views of a Waxwing in Acomb (record shot below), York and then in the pouring rain at Rufforth Airfield a first-winter Mediterranean Gull was the pick of the bunch.

Waxwing Andy Walker 2015

Chaffinch Andy Walker 2015

Lesser Redpoll 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment